Clinic - OR - ED - Patient Workflow
Every year, Emergency Departments, Clinic and Operating Rooms aim to improve efficiency and streamline workflow, to meet the demands of healthcare’s rising patient census levels. The right RTLS technology provides staff views on the location and status of patients making it easier for the entire care team to know where every patient is, collaborate on what they need next, and adjust in the moment for things like:
- List of patients in the waiting area that don’t have an assigned room yet.
- In the Emergency Department, who needs to be triaged and how long have they been waiting.
- Who is waiting for a nurse and how long have they been waiting.
- Ready for discharge and how long was their visit.
- Who is at CT, X-Ray etc.
- Measure room occupancy over time and set goals. Does your facility really need more exam space?
With a RTLS hardware and software workflow system, patients move in and out faster, driving higher patient satisfaction. And when patients have shorter visit times, providers can see more patients and ultimately bring in more revenue. Combine this information with EHR data enables a patient to be checked in (and checked out) efficiently without adding time to an already complex process. The integration of RTLS within healthcare facilities is advancing workflow processes, patient flow and reducing response times. It enhances staff communication and gives more visibility of patients in a fastpaced environment where time matters.
Staff are one of the most valuable asset to an organization. Staff locate helps improve efficiency and staff satisfaction. A staff member’s time is spread thin between caring for patients, attending meetings, documenting information, and responding to calls and problems throughout the hospital. With so much going on within the hospital, a Real-Time Location System (RTLS) that identifies the location of clinical staff members throughout the facility and integrates with a nurse call system improves workflow, patient response times, automates records, and keep staff safe.
On average, nurses walk 5 miles a day and spends their time doing paperwork, searching for staff or equipment, and responding to interruptions. These tasks decrease the time to provide direct patient care. A RTLS staff tracking and nurse call integration eliminates wasted time and increases efficiency to automate workflow processes.
Nurse call corridor lights illuminate when a patient makes a call from their pillow speaker or bath station. Nurses are notified regarding the type of call that was placed via their wireless phone and the corridor light over the patient’s door. When a caregiver enters the patient room, a RTLS enabled staff badge cancels the call and time-records their arrival, enabling hands-free workflow. Patient response times are critical to patient care and ultimately impact a facility’s HCAHPS scores.
Top Reasons for Staff Locate:
- Location awareness provides real time intelligence to help staff effectively manage patient care.
- Enable and create efficient LEAN processes that are measurable and repeatable.
- Enables physicians and staff to spend more time in front of patients which positively impact HCAHPS scores and staff retention.
- Using an automated staff-patient location system, quickly create a report to assist with containment of communicable diseases.
- Staff activity can be analyzed with business intelligence tools to optimize workflow and staff time.